This article was reproduced with the kind permission
of the British Broadcasting Corporation
6 November 2007, 17:59 GMT
Tyne and Wear Fire Service received about 1,000 emergency calls on Monday night - 200 less than 2006.
About 400 illegal bonfires were reported to the non-emergency line between Friday and Monday, along with 98 misuse of fireworks calls.
In County Durham and Darlington, 80 illegal bonfires were put out compared to 104 on 5 November last year.
A spokesman for the Tyne and Wear service said an intensive public campaign had helped raise awareness of the dangers of fires and fireworks.
Chief Fire Officer Richard Bull said: "We are pleased that this year's bonfire period passed off with very little incident and that most people seemed to adopt a safe and sensible approach to celebrations.
"Thanks to our successful partnership, we feel confident that the majority of people listened and adhered to our 'Fireworks and bonfires ruin lives in a flash' campaign messages."
The campaign encouraged people to dial 101 to report non-emergency incidents, and to attend organised firework displays instead of building their own bonfires.
It also included a graphic television advert depicting a charred and burning head, which was deemed too shocking to be screened before 1930 GMT.